Neurology is a branch of medical science that deals with disorders of the nervous system. It focuses on the diagnosis, management and treatment of all conditions and diseases involving the peripheral and central nervous systems. The nervous system is a very complex and sophisticated system that controls and coordinates all the other body parts and their functions. It has 2 major divisions:
Central nervous system (CNS) : It consists of the brain and spinal cord.
Peripheral nervous system (PNS) : It consists of the nerves and ganglia outside the brain and spinal cord. The key function of the PNS is to connect the CNS to the organs and limbs, aiding as a relay system between the brain, spinal cord and the rest of the body.
Who is a Neurologist?
- Headache disorders like migraine or cluster headache
- Infections of the brain and PNS like Meningitis, encephalitis or brain abscess
- Cerebrovascular disease like stroke
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Speech and language disorders
- Neurodegenerative disorders like Alzheimer’s disease and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Spinal cord disorders
Neurologists do not perform surgical procedures. If any patient requires surgery, they may refer them to a Neurosurgeon.
When should you consult a Neurologist?
You should consult a Neurologist if you have one of the following complaints or conditions like:
- Headache : Symptoms of more serious headaches like a Migraine may include vomiting, changes in vision, nausea, unilateral pain, confusion and irritability. If symptoms are severe enough, your doctor may refer you to a Neurologist.
- Chronic pain : If the pain is not getting relieved even after following a treatment suggested by your family physician or a general practitioner, then you may choose to see a Neurologist.
- Dizziness : If you have dizziness due to vertigo or disequilibrium, you should see a Neurologist.
Tingling or numbness : If the numbness has started suddenly in any part of the body and it is also associated with weakness of that part, then you should consult a Neurologist.
- Seizures : Types of seizures can vary from staring to loss of consciousness, shaking movements of the arms and legs, confusion, or loss of consciousness. Seizures that start suddenly or without any apparent cause are symptoms you should see a Neurologist.
- Confusion or loss of memory : Problem while speaking, memory loss, personality changes or confusion are all symptoms that are caused by problems in the brain, spine or nerves.
- Sleeping problems : Having conditions like anxiety or sleep apnea, nightmares, or some other sleep problems can be due to neurological disorders.
Although most of these symptoms can be a part of some other condition that may not be neurological, however, your primary physician can help you in deciding if you should see a neurologist.
What is different at RxDx?
Once you enter RxDx, you don’t have to worry about whom to see and where to go. We have a team of well experienced General Practitioners and Physicians who are experts in diagnosing and evaluating the seriousness and complexity of any health problem. They are not only well qualified, but they are quick in taking decisions and implementing the correct procedure for each patient. If your doctor feels you need an expert opinion from a Neurologist, you will be referred by your doctor and your appointment can be fixed then and there.
If you are looking for an experienced and renowned Neurologist, book an appointment at RxDx Multispeciality Clinic and get the best advice and treatment possible.
RxDx Healthcare Bangalore is a hub for exceptional neurology care, renowned for advanced treatments and compassionate patient support. Our team boasts top neurologists in Bangalore, stroke specialists, and experts in neurological disorders. At RxDx Healthcare, we’ve honed expertise in neurology, offering state-of-the-art facilities and a multidisciplinary approach to patient care. Consult our neurologists for your concerns and embark on your journey to neurological well-being.
RxDx Healthcare Bangalore has a team of neurosurgeons specializing in advanced consultations and care. Our neurosurgeons collaborate closely with patients, offering guidance and solutions for various neurological and spine-related concerns. With a deep understanding of neurosurgical disorders and access to resources, our neurosurgeons are ready to address your unique needs and support your journey to neurological well-being